Friday, January 4, 2019

Happy New Year! Important Announcements for Second Semester and January 7

Wow!  How did we get to 2019 so fast?

There are a few reminders and changes that I wanted to make everyone aware of again, just in case any of you missed it from last semester.

Social Studies
The students will no longer have open note tests.  The test were open note in the beginning of the school year because we were getting used to the new curriculum.  However, now that I am providing the students with specific notes (that they copy directly from me) and I am making the tests myself, they will be responsible for studying their notes ahead of time (which they technically still needed to do even with open note).

Math
We are studying fractions this nine weeks.  I will be honest and let you know that fractions can be a bit challenging for students, but of course I am going to make sure students are given plenty of opportunities to practice and different ways to learn.  When I send home important links or say "hey, math video posted", please have your students view them to help them understand at home.  Videos will be and have been posted under the Math tab blog.  I have already added one about fractions that you are more than welcome to have your child view.

Writing
We will use the first week back to school reviewing and completing our opinion writing unit.  The students will have an on demand writing prompt on Thursday, January 10.  The students will be given the prompt that day (I cannot give it out ahead of time).  From here, the students will learn how to bring history to life through informational writing.

Reading- In our new unit, students will explore perspectives in the American Revolution.  Students study reasons why the 13 American colonies decided to declare independence, how colonists’ opinions differed on this decision, and how the perspectives of free and enslaved blacks were both similar and different from the perspective of the white colonists. After a study of these various perspectives, students construct an opinion piece proclaiming reasons to be a Loyalist or a Patriot. In Topic 1, students build background knowledge on the war itself through close readings of several informational texts.

Assessments
Jan. 15- Multiplication, Division, and Area Test
Jan. 18- Social Studies quiz
Jan. 25- Fractions quiz (equivalent and comparing fractions)
Jan. 25- Sentence structure quiz
Feb. 8th- Soc. St. Test

Reminders will continue to come home about assessments as well.

Homework
Homework is sent home to help students practice and study the concepts learned in school.  The homework I send home is standards based and help students prepare for upcoming tests along with the Milestones.  I do see a correlation between students who do not complete homework and/or study and grades.

Class Dojo
Thank you for continuing to be supportive in regards to classroom behavior.  As we head into the second half of school, we are well into the groove of things.  I will continue to use Class Dojo to provide you with information on how your child is doing in class.

Agendas
If students come home without my initials, it is because they did not copy homework down from the board correctly and had to go back to their desk to finish.  I give students ample time to write down their work.  I am teaching the students how to be responsible and to listen. 

I think that is it for now.  I wanted to make sure I captured everything in one post.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
Evonna Bruner


No comments:

Post a Comment